This wine offers an authentic expression of cooler-climate Sauvignon Blanc. Its bright, natural acidity is juicy and thirst-quenching, while complex aromatics and lifted flavors of grapefruit and citrusy lime are accented beautifully by wet stone minerality. The elegant, textured mouthfeel leads to a clean, crisp finish.
• Fruit comes primarily from the Oak Knoll District at the southern end of the Napa Valley.
• Proximity to the San Pablo Bay brings cooling fog to this region – ideal for maintaining natural acidity which lends to the bright and refreshing character.
• Fermented solely in stainless steel to preserve authentic aromatics, minerality and citrus fruit flavors.
• Brix at Harvest: 22°
• The 2021 vintage will be remembered for low yields of intensely-aromatic, flavorful fruit, with a smooth and uneventful harvest season.
• January and February saw rain, then almost no notable precipitation for the rest of the season, which provided an ideal environment for grapes to flower, bloom and set in early spring.
• Grapes ripened early and evenly during a summer with no heat spikes.
• Harvest kicked off with clear skies and almost no concerning weather events.
About Markham Vineyards
OUR FOUNDER – Jean Laurent leaves the Bordeaux region of France in 1852 to join the Gold Rush in California, a journey that leads him to establish one of the first wineries in Napa Valley. His Bordeaux upbringing molded him into a viticulture and winemaking purist, and he quickly discovers that the Napa soils are a natural home for the grapevine. Jean founds the winery in 1874 and — after finding success with his wines — builds the stone cellar in 1879 that remains the heart of Markham Vineyards today.
OUR NAMESAKE – Bruce Markham is an Arizona businessman who finds himself with a pocketful of money in the late 1970s. He invests in 230 acres of vineyards across the Napa Valley, a craftsman-style bungalow home and Jean Laurent’s old stone cellar winery along Highway 29. Around the same time, the Napa Valley is gaining visibility in the wine world after a wine competition in Paris — now famously known as “The Judgment of Paris” — puts Napa Valley Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon on the map.
Bruce served in the US Navy and had a miniature cannon. The story goes that he would mark the start of each harvest by firing his cannon in the vineyards.
We are Sustainably Certified
Our sustainability practices replenish the vineyards’ natural resources, improve air and water quality, and protect the land’s ecosystems and wildlife habitats. With each bottle we share, we are reminded of the gifts nature has shared with all of us.
NAPA GREEN WINERY CERTIFIED
The Napa Green Winery Certification program focuses on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the winery’s carbon footprint, implemented through more than 100 sustainability standards.